- Determine Uncertainty Due to Inhomogeneity
- Identify Contaminated Sections of Thermocouple Wire
- Assess Quality of Thermocouple Wires
The 'Isotech Model 881 Dual Heatpipe Thermocouple Homogeneity Scanner' provides a fully automated solution to the problem of measuring thermocouple homogeneity.
The operation of a thermocouple relies on the Seebeck effect which causes an emf to be generated in any region of a thermo element that is exposed to a temperature gradient. Undesirably, nearly all thermocouples develop non-uniformities (inhomogeneities) in their thermoelements during normal use.
If one is to assess the accuracy of a thermocouple, then the inhomogeneity of the thermocouple is a major concern. Increasingly, users and laboratories are wanting to be able to measure thermocouple inhomogeneity.
The scanner can be used to determine:
- If wire/cable manufacturing processes meet quality standards or tolerances
- Whether a thermocouple is damaged or faulty and unfit for use or calibration